Friday 9 December 2011

1940's Wartime Brooches

Inspired by a photograph in a post on Vintage Knitters blog, I thought I’d show you some of my wartime brooches. 



I’ve been collecting them for the past 4 years and although I only wear a very few of my most loved ones, I simply can't part with any of the others!  Most were given to me as gifts and I was surprised to find that I’ve amassed a collection of 50! 

My favourite one, the green one with the multi coloured spray, was picked up for just 50p at a car boot sale 3 years ago, I couldn’t believe it!!  However, they have recently become more popular and for the really decorative ones, I’ve seen dealers asking over £20 at antiques fairs – I’ve walked away empty handed from said stalls! 

I’ve never found any two to be exactly the same, but as you can see from the photographs below, a lot of them have the same central button or are of similar design.


Not my most favourite ones......

Argh! Couldn't believe someone painted the bottom central one silver! 


Like these ones a lot.....


Love these ones a lot - especially the little scottie who I've just noticed needs a good clean! :o)

My 50p bargain green one.....

Add caption

The one on the bottom centre has seen better days really :o(

Although they are defintely wartime brooches, their exact origins are questionable.  I’ve seen them described as being made by factory girls using the old bits of electrical wire ( I’m not convinced on this one given the array of shades used in their creation), being made by prisoners of war (again, I’m not so sure) and as having been available to buy as a kit to “make your own”.  But however they were made and whoever took the time to make them, one thing for certain is that I shall go on enjoying collecting them and I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing them :o) 

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you've got a great collection there. I've noticed that some are very similar to those that I photographed. There must have been a 'Make Do & Mend' leaflet or two about how to make the brooches and what to use to decorate them

    P.S. Thanks for your comment on my blog too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! I've never seen these before, maybe they never made it across the pond. I'll have to look for them now.

    xoxo
    Solanah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, I m in love with 1940's fashion. I m following you, follow back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, found your blog, neato! I am also a vintage lady who loves knitting.

    Now following your blog, come check out my blog if you have the time. :)

    "The Vintage Dame"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm gutted that I gave so many of mine away...never paid more than pennies for them at car boot sales...

    ReplyDelete
  6. fantastic post i have had a go at making 1940 brooches , but gave your blog as a much better brooche collection hope that ok. hx

    ReplyDelete