I do my order knitting in the evenings when I have peace and quiet to concentrate. I’m working on an order for 3 jumpers, which I can’t really show you until I’ve sent them to the new owner. One is finished, one just needs the collar and the third, I’ve already finished the back, so we’re getting there!!
Working with little Y’s by day restricts the level of knitting I can do. In the past, I’ve tried, and failed, to knit complicated patterns and so have come to the conclusion that rib and stocking stitch are the way to go.
For over 12 months I’ve wanted to knit using a colour called mint from the Stylecraft Life 4 ply range. It’s a 25% wool, 75% acrylic mix and is such a pretty colour, very feminine and delicate and very much suited to a 1930's jumper. Having chosen the wool, I had a flick through my 1930’s patterns and decided on this very simple affair from the October 1937 issue of Good Knitting.
The pattern is incredibly easy. There are 50 rows of k3, p2 rib which, although sounds a lot, is far quicker to knit than k1, p1 rib so wasn’t actually too bad. The pattern says "the deep welt is a new trick and ensures a perfect fit", well, that remains to be seen but it fitted Doris nicely! The entire jumper is stocking stitch over 120 rows with only 8 stitches added into the main body of the jumper.
I started with the front because it was the most complicated piece with the colour change from mint to silver grey for the bow detail. I wasn’t too happy with the way it suggested working the inserts of grey. The two wools had to be twisted which gave an uneven stitch each side of the join. I’ve managed to tighten it up a bit when running the threads in, but I think, if I knit it again, I’ll run the mint to grey colour change in a fair isle way where the finish will be a lot neater.
The bows were really quick to work and I can see me using the pattern for them on other items, a beret perhaps? They have a little button hole in the middle and are knitted separately, obviously, and then sewn onto the ribbed band. I stitched them down a little more than the pattern indicated because I didn’t like the way they flopped about because it made them look uneven. Stitched on firmly, they look so neat.
I chose original vintage buttons and opted for tiny white glass ones that have a pearlescent layer on them which means they look plain white from a distance, but have hints of colour when you look closely.
As to the record time? Well, the jumper took only 12 days from start to finish. Yes, you read that correctly, just 12 days. I started the front rib in the car on Saturday the 13th October when we were out for the day. I like to knit in the car. It gives my hands something to do on a long journey and it’s surprising how quickly the work grows! I limited the knitting to day time only and, being such a simple jumper, it was very quick indeed. I finished knitting it yesterday and spent the evening pressing and piecing it together because that, again, is something I can't do without total attention.
Another plus point is how economical it was to make. It took just under 2 balls of mint with less than 15 grams of silver grey. When I say just under 2 balls, I really mean just because all I had left was a teeny tiny ball which was smaller than a plum.
We’re off to