This is my most recently stitched up jumper, a rather stylish 1940’s number knitted from a Lavenda pattern. Don’t know about you, but I think this pretty model might just be wearing a hair piece!! ;o)
I’d wanted to knit the pattern for a long time having seen some other people knit it in the rather popular red, white and blue colour way, but tracking down the pattern had proved difficult. After much lurking on eBay, I managed to get a seriously tatty copy for just a couple of pounds! A bargain in my book when you consider a good copy of the same pattern went for over £10!
Anyway, the jumper should have a base colour and 5 contrasts but with 4 ply colours being somewhat limited, I couldn’t find 6 colours that went well together and so ended up with just 4 instead, opting for cardinal, fern, silver and cobalt. They might seem like an odd batch of colours to mix up but I’ve used them before for the waffle jumper and they have been very popular.
It’s such an easy pattern to knit but the end result makes it look far more complicated than it really is – always a plus point :o) Once the K1, P1 rib is done, it’s simply a case of working in stocking stitch with every 4th stitch carried as a slipped stitch over 3 rows.
Sewing up is a different matter though with a grand total of over 150+ ends to sew together/run in but the final result is definitely worth the extra time taken in sewing it up properly.
Button wise, I didn’t have any which were just the right shade. I don’t know about you, but I find reds are one of the hardest shades to match up. Instead, I went for my "go to" button, the little faceted plastic ones. I think we have over 2000 of these which were picked up at a car boot sale a couple of years ago for just £5.00! Bargain! :o)
When knitting straight from a pattern i.e. not making any size adjustments at all, I find that the jumpers come out pretty close to the original size, give or take an inch. In my enthusiasm to get it knitted, I didn’t think to look at the pattern size. I should have checked though because the original was for a petite 32”-34” bust!
True to the pattern, and proof that using modern 4 ply on a vintage pattern that states 3 ply is ok, this jumper has come up at the 32”-34” bust it was meant to. I just managed to wriggle it on to the well travelled “
This jumper is coming with me to the fair in Norwich tomorrow. Lets hope it can find a loving new home with a petite, vintage loving lady :o)
If you fancy giving the pattern a go yourself, I have a PDF versions for sale through my Facebook page which you can find here.