Thursday 15 November 2012

10 Years Ago


Today is a happy day; a time to look back at the years gone by and a wonderful weekend to look forward to!

10 years ago today, on a cold, crisp November day, I nervously clung to my dad’s arm as I walked down the aisle of the amazing church, below, to the tune of Pachelbel's Canon.  I was so excited to be married in the church that I’d admired since I was a child.  It towers over the lawns of Christchurch Mansion, a wall stands to mark the boundary between churchyard and park.  In the wall, a little doorway, bricked up long ago, a reminder of the historical link between the two architectural wonders and the privileged private entrance from the "big house". :o)

This photo was taken when it snowed back in February, not on "the day", although snowy wedding would have been   rather lovely!
In front of family and friends, many who had travelled far, we said our vows.  Hymns were sung, rings exchanged and the register signed,
  
I was 21 when I got married and hadn’t even given vintage fashion a second thought.  Although our wedding wasn’t a vintage affair, it was certainly a family one.  The occasion brought together family and friends who used their combined skills to create table decorations, wedding favours, cravats, waistcoats, bouquets and the like.  Fun was had and memories were made in every favour we tied and in each glue gun burn we got from gluing pine cones onto wire!  Mr Y still has a small scar on his stomach where the wire cutters caught him when he was cutting a particularly awkward piece of wire! 

You’ll know from my previous posts that I simply don’t “do” pictures of me.  I’m an incredibly camera shy person and actively go out of my way to be behind the camera, never in front of it.  (I’m also very shy in person which can be somewhat of a trial when manning the stall!).  However, as it’s a “special occasion”, I though I’d finally put one on here, albeit a very small one!


My goodness, how young we look!!  It certainly doesn’t feel like it’s been 10 years, it's so scary how time flies!  The amazing journey that began at the altar as just the two of us is now a journey of 4 as we have been blessed with 2 beautiful little girls and are looking forward to what the next 10 years. and beyond, will bring us all.

To celebrate, we’re child free this weekend (something which fills me with mixed emotions as I'll miss the little critters) and are heading to Norwich for a spot of Christmas shopping.  Oh, and to take a peek in the Cath Kidston shop where a much coveted knitting bag beckons.  (Yes, I could probably buy it on line but I want to actually see how many balls of wool I can successfully stuff into it!)

As if that weren't enough, On Sunday, we’re going into Ipswich for the Christmas Craft and Vintage Market to see whether there are any true vintage treasures to be found.  It’s coupled with a foodie Christmas market so even if I don’t find vintage, Mr Y will find food!!


Whatever you are up to, I hope you all have a lovely weekend :o)


10 comments:

  1. Lovely post Lucy, the years fly by! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I was married at 21 too, and have been married for more than half my life now! I still feel like the girl in my wedding photo, although I don't look like her any more!
    We are thinking about a child free weekend for our anniversary next month, but, mixed emotions as you say. We got married because we wanted children, so I do like to celebrate with them. But couple time would be nice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,
      Glad I'm not the only one who feels 21! Problem is, when I look in the mirror, especially first thing in the morning, I'm shocked by the older person looking back at me!!
      The girls rarely have a weekend away, maybe once a year, because I don't like to be away from them. You're right, celebrating as a family is so much better. However, they're really looking forward to it so I'm painting on a smile!
      Happy Anniversary for next month :o) x

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary xxx

    Enjoy Norwich - hoping to get there again soon as I fancy a peak in the CK shop - there's a couple of shirts in there that I really like but want to check sizing/quality first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Vicki. I'm really looking forward to it :o)

    Reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one who likes to actually check out an item in person before purchasing it, especially the quality!!

    Have a great weekend - hope we get some autumn sun :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Happy Anniversary!
    It sounds like you have a great weekend lined up… try and enjoy yourselves with out the little’uns (I’m sure it must be easier said than done eh!)

    I also feel better to know that I’m not the only shy creature dodging the cameras. I know I post a lot of ‘me’ pics on the ole blog, but I take them myself so I don’t feel so nervous. (I’m very blinky when someone else takes the pics!) I never think I’m going to meet the people that read my blog as well which helps- I dread being recognised in case I disappoint!
    Anyway… Have a great weekend
    Tupney x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :o)

      Your photographs are always so lovely, I never would have guessed you took them yourself. You must be very good with your camera timer :o)

      I am painfully shy, always have been. I feel sorry for any ancestors I have because they'll struggle to find snaps of me.

      I actually have a confession to make. At Ramsey last year, I saw you and your mum and instantly recognised you from the blog. You certainly stood out from the crowd because you were one of the few people dressed in authentic clothing, and you looked stunning, but I'm such a coward I didn't say hello! :o)

      Delete
  6. From one very shy person to another Congratulations on or wedding anniversay
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awaah belated congratulations, you both look Beautiful and I am sure you still do!
    Oh and I can understand the shyness, I hate having my photo taken too, I even took photography at A level so I would have the excuse to spend my time behind the camera rather than in front of it! I am getting better though, blogging has helped, but as vain as it sounds I would much rather take my own photo (thank goodness for digital) than have someone else do it as I always feel soooo embarrassed! xx

    ReplyDelete