So today is the last day of the Knit For Victory knit along, which was run by Tasha who blogs at By Gum, By Golly, and do you know what, I actually completed my pullover!!!!
It was touch and go whether I would get there, but I’m so pleased I did. When I decided to knit another fair isle for my dad, I knew I wanted to work with a pattern that was relatively simple, one that would only require me to work with 2 colours at a time and, more importantly, one that didn’t need to be sized up! The only one that fitted the bill was this Bairns-Wear one, from the late 1930’s/early 1940’s.
Back in the autumn, I acquired a number of skeins of original vintage wool in some rather delectable shades. The wool on the skeins was very fine, equivalent to a modern 3 ply, and the only suitable neutral shade I could find was Azzurra, from the Adriafil range. It’s a 70% wool 30% acrylic mix and, despite my initial concerns, it actually worked well alongside the vintage pure wool.
In the first instance, I started out well and remembered to take a photograph of how far I’d got each evening. By the time I reached the second side of the neck, and had to reverse the instructions (which made my brain hurt!), I totally forgot about taking photographs! Here are the ones I did manage to take.
I didn’t finish the colour work on the front until early morning on Tuesday January 28th. I pinned and blocked it the same day, and was really pleased with how it came out.
Rather than the
Fair Isle back that the pattern called for, I did a plain back in just the Azzurra, which I finished only yesterday! The rib around the neck was done yesterday afternoon, while the girls were at the library with their grandma, and the armhole rib was finished at 11.30 last night. I stitched it up, and gave it a final press, this morning! I cut it fine, to say the least, but I got there in the end, and here it is in all its colourful glory!
His birthday isn’t until the 26th February, so I don’t have a picture of him wearing it, but I will try and get one in the Spring.
Before I started the pullover, I did a few other projects, all of which were given as Christmas presents. I knitted a beret for each of my girls. C had the navy and red, while M had the green and red. They were knitted from a 1950’s pattern, which I decreased in size by using smaller needles. The yarn was a pure wool by Red Heart. It knits up beautifully, and I shall definitely use it again.
I knitted a tea cosy for my mum using up some DK from my stash. As soon as I saw the pattern, I knew I had to knit it up, after all, it had felt anemones on!!! Sorry for the rubbish photograph. I only remembered to photograph it at my mum's house, late last night.
Last, but by no means least, is the scarf I knitted for my dad. The pattern was wartime, and the wool was 4 ply, pure wool.
I've really enjoyed seeing how everyone elses projects have progressed and seeing everyones fantastic knitting skills :o)